Humans of Seven Lakes: Prom King Neil Mpeye

Q: What was the process like for running for prom king?

A: I found it a lot of fun, personally. All of my friends would campaign and share it on different types of social media and stories and what not. I think the process of creating those sort of advertisements and using different marketing ploys and strategies to get my name out there and spread influence personally is what made running for prom king really fun.

Q: How did you feel when they announced your name?

A: Pretty ecstatic, a lot of people I feel like had faith in me, like I would win. I didn’t really think I had the popularity in that sense, and so I think the summation of everything resulting in prom king really put that into perspective for me – over all these years, how many friends I’ve made and the connections that I’ve shared with other people that I think have allowed me to reach that platform, and I thought that was a really cool thing.

Q: What was your favorite part of prom?

A: I’m not going to lie, personally I didn’t do much, but I think definitely after winning, a ton of different people from different backgrounds over my high school years – ranging from freshman year, having a class with them to maybe being in a club with them or just many other things like that – many people I didn’t know came up to me saying “congratulations,” and “I’ve heard so many good things about you and I voted for you.” I was really touched by that.

Q: Who is one person that made an impact on you during your time here and how did they impact you?

A: Seven Lakes wise, definitely my counselor Mrs. Bazargani. Last year, I went through a really difficult time in terms of academic hardship. I was in and out of school a lot due to family, health and what not and a whole bunch of other complications. She was really an integral force in ensuring I got my classwork in time, and working with my teachers and my principals just to make sure that I would be successful and be able to pass junior year and go on to graduate. So I really would not be here today, I think, if it weren’t for her.

Q: How have you changed from your freshman year to right now?

A: I would say I’m definitely more confident in myself and my abilities. I think I’ve discovered more about who I am and what I’m capable of. I think I’ve matured quite a bit – I was a very goofy, childish kind of guy in freshman, sophomore year but yeah, I think the experiences I’ve had have turned me into someone for the better.

Q: What advice would you give to the underclassmen about surviving high school?

A: Definitely to manage your time well. I was a big procrastinator early on, so I feel like the jump from junior high to high school is something that is pretty significant and that you have to deal with. Personally for me, I was “it won’t be that big of a deal” and then I was there and was like “geometry is hard.”

Q: What are your plans for after high school?

A: I’m probably going to college at either UH or UTSA. I plan to major in Biology with a minor in business. Honestly, I would like to explore more creative fields. For example, maybe I’ll try my hand at comedy or other aspects I think I would excel at. I think finding a platform for those things and hopefully making it out there.

Q: What are you most excited for in the future?

A: I think definitely going out there and being on my own. Seeing how much change and growth I will undergo and how more things I can overcome. Personally, I am very excited for the future and can’t wait to see what’s next.