The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

From Classrooms to Congress: How High School Debate is Forming Future Politicians

Maya Vishwanath

Inspired by today’s political climate, students in high school debate have been motivated to pursue careers in politics. The extracurricular has become more than a club for many of its students, teaching them how to critically analyze media and develop individual opinions about current events. 

“[Debate] helped me not only understand how political systems work, the government, activism groups and things like that, but it’s also just given me arguments about politics itself,” said Anshika Agrawal, a member of varsity debate. 

Moving from the competitive debate circuit to political aspirations is not just a personal journey, but a shared passion for these students. 

“Debate teaches us to analyze policies critically, to see beyond the surface, and to understand the interconnectedness of political decisions,” Tyler Crivella, an aspiring politician said.

Transitioning from high school debate to a political career involves a shift from hypothetical scenarios to real-world impact. As they envision themselves in future political roles, debate students express a desire not just to argue for the sake of arguing but to implement tangible change.

“The transition from debating policies to crafting and implementing them is a logical step in our journey towards influencing positive change,” Crivella said.

This  sentiment is shared by many high school debate members who aspire to be politicians. This transition emphasizes the necessary application of the skills they cultivate in the competitive debate environment.

Going from the role of debater to a potential political leader also involves adapting to the broader landscape of public service. The transition requires a balance between idealism and pragmatism, as these future politicians learn to navigate the intricacies of governance while staying true to their core values.

“Our experience in debate naturally drives people to want to pursue politics, but it isn’t the most morally driven career path,” Crivella said. 

Going from the tightly structured world of high school debate to professional politics is an evolving journey, marked by continuous learning and adaptation. As members of the debate team begin their careers, they bring with them the valuable skills and perspectives developed through competitive debate, and they become poised to contribute meaningfully to the future of political discourse.

About the Contributor
Maya Vishwanath
Maya Vishwanath, Staff Writer
Maya Vishwanath is a sophomore in her first year being The Torch staff. She is passionate about journalism and excited to write Spartan news. In her spare time, she loves to sew, repurpose clothes, cook, read, and swim.