The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

From My Home to Yours

Lola Afolabi

It’s no myth that the world is diverse. 195 countries. 7,139 languages. 650 ethnic groups. 223 nationalities. Our world is filled with people with different cultures, different walks of life, different religions and different languages. However, no matter how many geography and world language classes one takes, it is impossible to know and understand each culture’s, customs and traditions: which is why it is important to learn from people around you. It’s no that Americans are quite ignorant about other countries (especially eastern world countries.) Still, it is a good idea to learn more about the world around us, so society can be more tolerant and accepting. So, travel around the world with us and learn something new about different cultures. 

• Venezuela (South America) 

“People should know that in Venezuela, specifically in Maracaibo (a city in northwestern Venezuela), We have a tradition to listen to “Gaitas” (a style of Venezuelan folk music) during Christmas. Also, “ Los Roques” is such a picturesque and wonderful place to visit.” – Victoria Garces (senior) 

• Kenya( East Africa) 

“ Kenya has its own distinct culture, you can see the way they’ve taken from the different cultures of surrounding countries and made their own, for example, Kenyan Swahili takes inspiration from multiple countries. One thing that’s very specific to my culture, The Maasai ( a tribe that lives along, like the border of Kenyan Tanzania). They choose not to have much contact with the modern world, and they’ve been like that for decades, possibly centuries. It’s inspiring how they have chosen not to conform to the way the world has changed. They have a very long lifespan and very good immunity. And like, that’s something that many people and health experts, even from the West, have been curious about.” – Kate Njeru (senior) 

• Japan (East Asia) 

“Many people don’t know that Japanese people celebrate their own New Years. We gather together with family and friends to eat Osechi Ryori[traditional Japanese New Year foods in special jubako boxes]. They include things like datemaki and tazukuri, but they’re more than just ordinary meals, they are very symbolic and guarantee us a good year.” – Emika Tsmura (junior) 

• Nigeria (West Africa) 

“ We get a lot of bad rep because of the stereotypes of us being scammers. Our Vibes. Our Music. Our Food. We’re very obvious and direct people and you can definitely tell so in the way we represent our culture. In music, especially now, where you have a lot of Afrobeat artists entering the mainstream music industry. Also, I feel like our people we’re just proud of ourselves. You can just tell a Nigerian from far away.” – Tammy Bell-Gam (senior)

• Pakistan (South Asia)

People don’t realise that Pakistan and India are not the same place, we both have different cultures, customs, languages. One of those[ for Pakistan] is Eid: which is an Islamic religious holiday. We eat, play, gossip and commune with our loved ones. Plus, we get money from adults.”– Hania Mirza(sophomore) 

About the Contributor
Lola Afolabi
Lola Afolabi, Editor in Chief
Lola is a senior in her 2nd year on the Newspaper Staff. Although this is her first year of being an editor, she is excited to embrace the responsibilities that come with the new role. Outside of the newspaper, Lola enjoys reading, watching movies, listening to music,and casually learning new languages. Due to her ever-competing love for journalism and science, She hopes to pursue Engineering or Journalism.