The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

What Are You Reading?

Natalie Guske

From enthralling fantasies to gut wrenching romances, fast paced thrillers to thought provoking social critiques, books undoubtedly hold entire worlds between their covers. Of course, when it comes to what to read, taste is entirely subjective. Luckily, with millions of books to choose from, there’s bound to be something for everyone.

When it comes down to what to read, junior Tejas Murali enjoys exploring multiple genres including science fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy. However, one series will always hold a special place in his heart.

“[My favorite series is] Harry Potter,” Murali said. “It [sounds] cliché, but I love it because of how intricate its universe is. The intensity and uniqueness of the wizarding world is just so cool and makes you want to be a part of it as a reader.”

While fantasy may be the perfect genre for some, others prefer narratives more deeply rooted in reality. An avid reader of historical fiction, sophomore Varvara Fomicheva loves to read the works of Ruta Sepetys.

“Her writing is so delicate yet also hard hitting,” Fomicheva said. “The way she describes things is beautiful and makes her books feel like paintings– you can tell she really did her research. After reading Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Gray I had to sit there in silence, just feeling hollow and processing everything.”

However, for those seeking more of a thrill, such as a fast paced police chase filled with suspense, or a classic whodunit that keeps the reader guessing until the very end, the mystery section of any library or bookstore is sure not to disappoint. 

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” [is my favorite book] because I love mystery and it makes you feel like you’re in the investigation,” sophomore Alex Montenmar said.

Of course, although there is no shortage of modern literature to indulge in, there’s certainly no harm in going back to the classics, even when it’s not for English class.

“I am finding [1984 by George Orwell] very interesting,” senior Sarah Malik said. “I haven’t gotten very far into it, but the plot is very detailed and suspenseful at times.”

Although everyone has their personal preferences as to what to read, it’s important to branch out and explore different genres every once in a while; you never know what you might be missing.

About the Contributor
Natalie Guske
Natalie Guske, Editor in Chief
Natalie Guske is a senior and this is her third year on the Torch staff. This is her first year of being an editor and she is very excited to continue to learn and write the stories of her peers in this new role. Outside of newspaper Natalie plays trumpet in the band and is also a part of Miller Career Center’s education program. While enjoying her final year of high school so far, Natalie is looking forward to college and plans on pursuing a degree in elementary education. When she’s not at school or band practice, Natalie enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as curling up with a good book and a tasty snack.