The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

A New Era of Fantasy

Rhea Kuriakose

When it comes to reviews, readers tend to give different aspects of a book more or less value based on their personal preferences. Most of the time people want really likable characters, or fun and adventurous plots, making the atmosphere an underrated aspect of many books. While most books don’t really have an atmosphere that stands out, One Dark Window by Rachel Gillig excels in that category, creating a palpable air of mystery and danger. 

The story takes place in a dark gothic Victorian time period where there’s the usual lords, knights, galas, and high courts, but with the addition of a creative and engaging magic system. One Dark Window is a great fantasy in terms of originality and creative freedom. The magic system is brilliant because it’s broad enough to be used in different and unexpected ways by characters while still having clear limitations to give the story a hint of realism. The characters also feel like actual people since they react realistically to the situations within the context of the story. 

One Dark Window takes place in a fictitious land called Blunder, which is afflicted by a plague that causes magic to be gifted to those who survive it. To cure the land of said plague, someone must collect one of each of 32 magical cards, the only catch being that The Twin Alders card has never been seen or recorded. Our protagonist, Elspeth Spindle, is a survivor of the plague who harbors a magical beast in her mind that allows her special abilities, notably the ones to see cards as glowing colorful lights. We follow Elspeth on her journey to reunite the deck and save her kingdom of destruction. 

The first book does a wonderful job at setting up character arcs for the second book which give the entire series continuous flow. With multiple POVS in both books, all can be equally appreciated. The character of Elspeth is a fun twist on a regular run of the mill fantasy heroine, Elspeth is a character who doesn’t join the search out of passion but rather necessity. The pre-established bond between some characters also provides great layers and dimensions to the story. All together, the One Dark Window duology is a twisty and fun gothic fantasy with a beautiful, well thought-out, magic system.

Favorite quotes: 

“My magic moves, he said. My magic bites. My magic soothes. My magic frights. You are young and not so bold. I am unflinching—five hundred years old.”

“Something ancient—born of salt. We were the same, he and I. Gifted with ancient, terrible magic. Woven in secret, hidden in half-truths. We were the darkness in Blunder, the reminder that magic—wild and unfettered—prevailed, no matter how desperately the Rowans tried to stamp it out. We were the thing to be feared. We were the balance.”

About the Contributor
Rhea Kuriakose
Rhea Kuriakose, Staff Writer
Rhea is a junior in her 2nd year of being on the newspaper staff. She is an energetic and unique member of the newspaper staff. She is highly motivated by food and friendship. Her interests are reading, Girl Scouts and Basketball. Rhea has been on staff for two years and is excited to bring a new element to our website in the form of Book Reviews.