The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Dancing Under the Stars: Preparing For Prom

Maya Vishwanath

As seen in High School Musical, Victorious, Good Luck Charlie, and every other movie and TV show on Disney and Nickelodeon, prom is the epitome of high school- at least in the mind of a child.  Now that this milestone has been reached by the senior class, hours of planning and preparation go into this one night. 

“It’s pretty much the last thing seniors have,” senior Temi Sam-Olibale said. 

Since this night is so important to the graduating class, preparing for prom is a ritual in itself—a blend of excitement, nerves, and endless anticipation. However, it doesn’t have to be extremely stressful with online stores like ASOS  and Lucy In The Sky being cheaper and more convenient for many seniors. 

“I just found my dress online, and I’m super excited,” Olibale said.  

When it comes to prom, the dress is undoubtedly the star of the show, with everything from the colors of the ties to the type of flowers being based around it. Because many put attention into every detail that goes into the evening, preparation for this night can start months in advance.

“I picked out colors that matched the dress of my date for my suit,” senior Cooper Shields said. 

After picking out the perfect dress/suit, seniors are faced with the million dollar question: go with a group or with a date? 

“I made plans with my friends for where we’re gonna go for dinner, where we’re gonna take pictures, and where we’re gonna do an after-party,” senior Beatrice Asekombe said. 

In the end, prom is more than just a dance—it’s a milestone, a rite of passage. It’s the final hurrah for seniors, a chance to come together one last time before graduation. As they step onto the dance floor, adorned in their finest attire, they’re not just celebrating a night to remember, but the journey that brought them here. Prom is the culmination of their high school experience, a moment frozen in time

“It’s our last moment as high school students.” Beatrice Asekombe said.

About the Contributor
Maya Vishwanath
Maya Vishwanath, Staff Writer
Maya Vishwanath is a sophomore in her first year being The Torch staff. She is passionate about journalism and excited to write Spartan news. In her spare time, she loves to sew, repurpose clothes, cook, read, and swim.