The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Balancing with Dedication and Sacrifice

provided by SLHS Band photographer

In the world of competitive high school band programs, the Seven Lakes band’s strict regimen is not uncommon. The Seven Lakes High School band, with its rigorous practice schedule, has earned admiration from their classmates for their skill and dedication every football game. With practice every day after school, including Saturdays, the band has committed to excellence and made several sacrifices to do so, including band camp over the summer.

“I feel like our band qualifying for state is pretty much the norm,” sophomore colorguard student Amira Tejan-Cole said. 

Nevertheless, amidst the achievements the Seven Lakes band has accomplished, some students have voiced concerns about the toll their commitment takes on their overall high school experience. Long practice hours are a standard for competition band students. Some students say that it often gets in the way of their other extracurriculars and homework.  

“I knew what I was signing up for when I joined, but the long hours are no joke. I’ve stayed up till two in the morning doing my homework because of practice.” sophomore Emma Sadeghi said. 

Additionally, the abnormally high temperatures have been challenging for students to practice in.  

“During practice, we’d be standing up in 90-degree heat for what felt like forever.” sophomore Dylan Abosta said. 

While the heat and long hours have been a challenge, student leaders in the band have been working hard to keep the band’s spirits high. 

“So this year it’s been really hot outside, we’ve had summer band, we’ve been there every night and everyone’s been feeling down, but at the same time as a drum major I can get to energize everyone and make sure everyone is having a good time,” Austin Hassman, a senior drum major, said. 

This year, a major concern amongst some band students is whether they’re missing out on the quintessential American high school experience we see in movies and television.

“Sometimes I wish I could go to football games as a student,” Tejan-Cole said.

Unfortunately, the BOA West Houston Regional competition takes place at the same time as the school’s homecoming dance. 

“Band missing homecoming is always something I find kind of sad, but to make up for it the band has their little homecoming, BOCO,” Elizabeth Han, a senior section leader, said.

To make up for the students missing homecoming, the Band Council planned BOCO (Band Homecoming), so band members still get to dress up and have fun.

“Personally, school dances aren’t really my thing, but I’m also a part of the band council and whenever we have to miss homecoming we plan a band homecoming which is on a separate day sometime around December. It’s not the real one, but we try our best to give our students the same experience as regular homecoming as band homecoming.”  Ben Bush, a senior drum major, said.

However, these challenges have brought out the best in band students. For many students, the band has encouraged them to do things they would normally shy away from. 

“A big thing the band has helped me with is coming out of my comfort zone, because when I first joined I was so shy, I wasn’t planning to be so involved in the band, but as I got the hang of it, I got comfortable, grew as a person and tried out for more leadership positions,” Han said.

While she started as a timid freshman, Band allowed Han to become more social and challenge herself. Now, in her senior year, she is Woodwinds Captain and running for homecoming court. 

For several students, the long practice hours forced them to develop a good work ethic. Being a drum major, Bush has to stay an hour later than other competition band students, his practices are from 4:30 to 9:00 p.m. 

“Band has given me a lot of experience in time management… It’s made me a more efficient worker because I always have to work in a time crunch,” Bush said.

Bush is a part of the band council, where they come up with ways to foster a fun, family-like environment. They have a mini competition called “Section of the Week” as a way for members to have fun. They also plan the band’s BOCO to replace their school homecoming. Their efforts along with the many hours spent together create a sense of camaraderie between the members where memorable and even emotional experiences are made. 

“I remember playing the last note at the state finals in the Alamodome. I started crying a little bit because it was such a big moment and it was so impactful to me. We missed finals by one place, and that was the end of the competition season,” Hassman said.

All in all, despite the rigorous practices and sacrifices the band’s tight-knit community and impressive credentials undoubtedly provide valuable life lessons for the future. Despite missing high school events, many band members agree that their quintessential high school experience is made possible by being in the band and the experiences they made. 

About the Contributor
Maya Vishwanath
Maya Vishwanath, Staff Writer
Maya Vishwanath is a sophomore in her first year being The Torch staff. She is passionate about journalism and excited to write Spartan news. In her spare time, she loves to sew, repurpose clothes, cook, read, and swim.