The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

What to Watch This Christmas

What to Watch This Christmas
Natalie Guske

Christmastime. While arguably “the most wonderful time of the year,” it is also one of the most stressful times of the year–malls becoming jam-packed with shoppers, households becoming a flurry of activity, and invitations to various holiday parties arriving by the dozen. Amid this whirlwind of holiday activity, indulging in some classic Christmas movies can be the perfect way to relax and take a load off.

Below, I’ve ranked 10 of my personal favorite holiday movies, but of course there’s a plethora of Christmas movies out there that are just as good. Happy watching!

1. Elf (2003)

If you’re looking for a holiday comedy full of talking animals, delectable homemade dishes, angry businessmen, and plenty of Christmas spirit, then Elf is the perfect movie for you to watch this holiday season. This might have been ranked higher on my list, except for the fact that “Elf” seems to be a favorite of most teachers and is not nearly as entertaining the 15th time as it is the first.

1. Polar Express (2004)

If you went to Elementary school in KatyISD, you probably have fond memories of Polar Express Days – days spent watching beloved this movie with you class while drinking hot chocolate. Admittedly, the animation style of the movie is a bit… interesting to say the least, but nonetheless, it is a heartwarming story that should be a staple in anyone’s Christmas watchlist. 

1. A Christmas Story (1983)

The first time I watched this movie was in eighth grade English and it has been a holiday favorite of mine ever since. Narrated by the adult version of the main character, the movie details all the humorous shenanigans of a young boy, ranging from epic fights to stunning living room decor (especially when it comes to lamps).

1. Serendipity (2001)

This movie is the definition of the phrase “it’s not about the destination but the journey.” This holiday themed rom-com features starstruck lovers who share one magical night together, only to be separated for years, trusting fate to reunite them. Although the couple only gets about 10 minutes of shared screen time, the buildup of suspense – aided by several close calls, makes this movie well worth the watch. 

1. Sound of Music (1965)

Before you come after me, if Die Hard can be considered to be a Christmas movie, why can’t Sound of Music? It seems like there’s no better time of year to sit down and watch this cinematic masterpiece than December, and it’s perfect for when you have three hours to fill and don’t want to watch multiple movies. Plus, the soundtrack is just the cherry on top of this epic classic; it’s a must-watch.

1. White Christmas (1954)

Featuring famed actors of the time, such as Bing Crosby and Vera-Ellen, this Christmas classic features numerous musical numbers, dance breaks, and of course, a compelling story. Following the journeys of an entertainment duo and two sisters, also involved in show business, the movie is filled with surprise parties, deceptions, misunderstandings, and holiday festivals. It’s an unforgettable holiday classic.

1. The Grinch (1966)

Although there have been many remakes of this classic Dr. Seuss story, the original is still my favorite. It’s the perfect length for when you want to take a short break from reality and the animation style is very reminiscent of the Dr. Seuss’ timeless illustrations. If you’re in the mood for a story of redemption and a dog with an attitude, then consider putting this movie on this holiday season.

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Just like the Grinch, “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is a staple Christmas movie that should be in everyone’s watch list this year. Featuring all the characters from the popular Peanuts comics, this movie is both heartwarming and funny. Besides, the movie also features a nostalgic soundtrack featuring the Vince Guaraldi Trio that you are sure to recognize.

1. Home Alone (1990)

However impossible the events in this movie might be, the memorable characters and even more memorable events, makes for an unforgettable viewing experience. Besides, who can resist the allure of a genius eight year old outsmarting two seasoned criminals? Definitely not me. And if you’re left wanting more after the first Home Alone movie, there’s two more to indulge in.

1. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Filled to the brim with slapstick humor and the unexpected, this movie is perfect if you’re looking for a good laugh. With hilarious characters and a plot that will continuously keep you guessing, this movie is not to be missed.

Whatever you decide to watch this holiday season, you are sure to find a sprinkling of holiday magic somewhere. Merry Christmas!

About the Contributor
Natalie Guske
Natalie Guske, Editor in Chief
Natalie Guske is a senior and this is her third year on the Torch staff. This is her first year of being an editor and she is very excited to continue to learn and write the stories of her peers in this new role. Outside of newspaper Natalie plays trumpet in the band and is also a part of Miller Career Center’s education program. While enjoying her final year of high school so far, Natalie is looking forward to college and plans on pursuing a degree in elementary education. When she’s not at school or band practice, Natalie enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as curling up with a good book and a tasty snack.