The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Lit-mas

AP Lit students enjoy the annual holiday read aloud hosted by the library
Lola Afolabi

When a student graduates from elementary school they are faced with a harsh reality: there’s no Polar Express days in the real world. Class holiday parties are replaced with grueling finals; the warm and fuzzy feeling of the holiday spirit replaced with overwhelming stress and existential dread.

However, not all teachers are as heartless as their students may make them out to be. In fact, when it comes to AP Lit, a class known for its heavy workload and draining timed writes, teachers Leslie Wakefield and Rudy de la Rosa team together with librarian Lisa Nguyen to give their students some respite from the stress of high school and transport them back to the magical days of elementary school.

“Mr. de la Rosa initially started [the holiday read aloud] because for seniors this time of year is really stressful,” Mrs. Wakefield said.  “[The read aloud] is really fun [because] it takes them back to their elementary days, helps them remember what it was like to be excited for Christmas, and lets them revisit some of those well beloved children’s stories that they might not have read for a while.”

Ever since Mrs. Nguyen took up the position of librarian six years ago, this beloved tradition of the lit read aloud, accompanied by some piping hot hot chocolate of course, has offered seniors a little moment of bliss amid the whirlwind of stress.

“I read the same books every year because they’re classics and everybody wants to hear them,” Mrs. Nguyen said. “I read “The Polar Express,” “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” and then I read aloud the poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas.””

Mrs. Nguyen also infuses more of the holiday spirit into this magical day by having students compete against each for a Crumbl Cookie gift card in a digital version of an age-old memory game.

“My favorite part [about this] is that students come in and they can just enjoy themselves, relax and have a good time,” Mrs. Nguyen said. “The holidays can sometimes be stressful so it’s just a nice and relaxing day for me and my students.”

There’s no doubt that school can be incredibly stressful, especially for seniors who not only have to focus on their present classes and grades, but are also looking towards the future; filling out college applications or looking at trade schools and jobs. Yet, even in the most stressful of times, students still manage to find happiness in childhood traditions.

“[The read aloud] was  a really nice way to end the semester,” Senior Kate Njeru said. “I feel like it allowed us to go back into our childhood [and] have some fun.”

About the Contributors
Natalie Guske
Natalie Guske, Editor in Chief
Natalie Guske is a senior and this is her third year on the Torch staff. This is her first year of being an editor and she is very excited to continue to learn and write the stories of her peers in this new role. Outside of newspaper Natalie plays trumpet in the band and is also a part of Miller Career Center’s education program. While enjoying her final year of high school so far, Natalie is looking forward to college and plans on pursuing a degree in elementary education. When she’s not at school or band practice, Natalie enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as curling up with a good book and a tasty snack.
Lola Afolabi
Lola Afolabi, Editor in Chief
Lola is a senior in her 2nd year on the Newspaper Staff. Although this is her first year of being an editor, she is excited to embrace the responsibilities that come with the new role. Outside of the newspaper, Lola enjoys reading, watching movies, listening to music,and casually learning new languages. Due to her ever-competing love for journalism and science, She hopes to pursue Engineering or Journalism.