The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Path to Success

It takes a lot to be successful in the sports world, but it takes even more to be the best at what you do. Just ask boys Soccer head coach Jimmy Krueger.

“Soccer has been prominent in my life for a while but not my whole life,” coach Krueger said. “I had a couple different paths out of college. A FBI path was one that sticks out and I took it seriously for a minute, went through the steps and ultimately didn’t work out. Then I went into business since that was my degree and after talking to some people and getting their insight, I decided this wasn’t it either and seeing as I had some background in soccer in college and playing in Canada, that was the decision.”

What’s the most important aspect of coaching in your opinion?

“It’s definitely coaching the kids into respectful men. I love to see who the kids grow into the players they become. I’ve had past players keep in contact and appreciate what we’ve done here for them and how we’ve helped them grow as a person. It’s also good to see the wedding invites for some, it feels good.

What’s the importance of winning state to you and your team?

“It means a lot to all of us. We know we had the talent and we worked hard through the season. It also meant a lot to me seeing as I never had that feeling as a player att Katy high school, and in Canada when I played up there, so to finally accomplish that feat after all these years and hard work meant a lot to me.

What are some top moments from a highly decorated coach?

“State obviously ranks pretty high up there. There’s a lot we can look back on and smile at because it’s been fun here. The highs of this job outweigh the lows that we may have experienced and those are the things we remember.”

Did he ever see himself winning COTY?

“Honestly it was never something I looked to accomplish. Those awards really are a result of the team’s success which ultimately comes from the players. Besides, I like to strive for championships over awards. But it’s a great feeling because there are some great coaches around here and to be considered, and ultimately win, is amazing.”

Finally, what’s the importance of creating trust within the team?

“It’s probably one of the more important things a coach has to maintain. Trust is a two way street; we trust the players to do their job, they trust us in return and gain confidence which leads to better performance. It really shows character to be able to trust when the going gets tough. Trust is very important and it helps a team tremendously.”

That’s how a Coach of the Year deals with and sees the world of soccer here at Seven Lakes. Coach Krueger and the boys varsity soccer team look to repeat at 6A State Champions!

About the Contributor
Jackson Shivers
Jackson Shivers, Staff Writer
Senior Jackson Shivers is a 3rd year Staffwriter for the Torch and also is a part of the SLHS Softball Team. Jackson hopes to continue to perfect his writing skills as he intends on studying Journalism and Communications at Texas Tech.