King of the Court

Freshman Nasir Price’s dominant streak has helped lift Spartans basketball to an undefeated district record.

Photo by Tobe Anyanti

If it weren’t for the Spartan Crazies cheers, very few onlookers would believe what they’re witnessing. As Nasir Price dances through numerous opponents, driving for the basket and making an impossible layup, chants echo through the gymnasium- He’s a freshman! He’s a freshman!

In just his first high school season, Price has had an instant impact and been one of the most dominant forces in the district on both sides of the ball. 

“The strongest part of Nasir’s game is his offensive skill set. I think he can shoot the ball, drive the ball, but he is also an incredible passer. He understands spacing and concepts, so I just think he is beyond his years when it comes to his offense,” head coach Shannon Heston said. “That’s not to say he’s a bad defender, he’s a really good defender and rebounder as well.”

With a lithe, 6’3” frame, Price has seemed impossible to guard. Capable of shooting the long ball and driving to the paint, the freshman has scored 15-plus points regularly through district play. Price and junior Anthony Bates Jr. have been the leading scorers for the program and command the first-place Spartans on the court. 

“[Price and Bates] both hold their teammates accountable. They make sure that everybody abides by what the coaching staff is trying to get across,” Coach Heston said. “They’re not afraid to talk to the seniors, the guys who have been on varsity for multiple years. It’s been really good as a coaching staff to not have to do everything and just watch those guys grow and lead the team.”

Bates has been both a friend and a mentor to Price. As the reigning district MVP, Bates is no stranger to success at a young age. 

“He’s shown me the ropes around everything, just leading and keeping my head straight,” Price said. 

Unsurprisingly, Price doesn’t shy away from the spotlight. In the first game of the season against AZ Compass, who was ranked number two in the country at the time, he dropped an impressive 16 points. In a sold-out home game against Jordan, he dropped 20 and had an electrifying alley-oop assist to Bates. Against district rival Cinco Ranch, arguably his best game of the season, he had countless crucial plays, including multiple buckets at the buzzer.

“The biggest play I made [against Cinco Ranch] was the stepback three-pointer to tie the game in the third quarter,” Price said. “It comes to a lot of practice. I’ve just done it so many times that I’m just used to [the pressure].”

His outing stood out to Coach Heston as well, who held high praise for the freshman’s poise. 

“[Price’s] performance was about as good as we’ve had this year from him,” Heston said. “Specifically, he was really efficient on the court and looked to take advantage of moments where he was open. He really came through in clutch situations for us.”

As the Spartans close in on a district championship, Price will play a pivotal role in securing the title and leading the team on a deep playoff run.