Humans of Seven Lakes: Christine Kim

Senior Christine Kim reflects on her time in high school and gives advice to other students

Senior+Christine+Kim+is+the+senior+class+president+and+president+of+Motivating+Minds%2C+a+club+that+strives+to+destigmatize+mental+health+and+educate+students.+

Photo by Carlotta Angiolillo

Senior Christine Kim is the senior class president and president of Motivating Minds, a club that strives to destigmatize mental health and educate students.

How have you changed from freshman year to now?

I think freshman year, I was a little bit confused on what I like to do, what I wanted to do in high school. And I think a lot of freshman year was just trying out new things because I think oftentimes we feel like we have to know what we’re doing all the time, but the reality is, most of us don’t know what we want to do. So I think with that, part of my advice for freshmen would be to try new things. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and go out of your comfort zone because it can definitely be worth it. You might find your new passion or what you love to do. I think now I’m pretty settled on what I’m doing right now in high school. Student Council is a really big thing for me because I’m surrounded by a lot of people and I know that I like being around people – I like the environment of being able to talk to new people, sponsors, advisors, things like that. I really like art, and I think it’s a really, really relaxing classroom this year. It’s just a stress reliever.

If you could go back to freshman year and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?

My piece of advice would be to ask questions to upperclassmen, because I think I was scared to, just because I didn’t want to seem annoying or needy. But I think just needing help is a really common thing. More often than not, people are going to be willing to help you, and then that opens up places or new friendships.

How did you deal with the adjustment from middle school to high school?

Oh my gosh, it was so stressful at first. I think it was a lot of pressure because people are saying like, high school matters, it’s really hard at Seven Lakes. Mental health was a really big part in that, and I think just communicating with my friends and my family consistently about how I feel, going out to do fun things – I think that is just a really good way where I just balance school and social life.

What has been your favorite year of high school? 

I really, really liked junior year. The classes were challenging for sure, but I think the challenges really put my work ethic into a new perspective. And I also made a lot of new friends, and I think those friends really helped me stay on top of things and manage that stress.

What is the most valuable class that you’ve taken in high school? 

I think English I right now. It just has really good memories because I had Mr. Robinson, and I think that transition from middle school to high school – he really helped with that. Although timed writes are stressful – as they are every year, like in AP Lang and English II – I think just opening up the environment as a safe place for students to be, he taught me a lot in that. The course itself, it taught me to practice. Practice really does make –  not perfect, but just better, and I think that’s the goal that most people should have, just becoming better than what you were before, just working on yourself.

As president of the Motivating Minds club, why is advocating for mental health important to you?

I think personally, it’s really, really important that everyone feels really safe at our school. And I know that it can be really challenging. There’s so much different pressure in high school, like not just school and academics, but family life and friends, and I know that can be really difficult to handle all at once. Sometimes you really just need a person to talk to, a person to understand, and a person to listen more than anything. And I think that having that community at our school is not only a safe place for people but an outlet to those in need, and also just creating a community where we can all just have fun together. 

How can students avoid impostor syndrome at a school like Seven Lakes? 

I think just not giving into the pressure, and I know it’s easier said than done, but I think when you find your identity and what you love to do, don’t be too worried about what other people are doing around you. Focusing on yourself is the most important thing when it comes to that. 

What advice do you have for seniors who are battling senioritis and college applications? 

You know, I feel you. I think just push through, it’s worth it. I think for goals, for me, just looking towards the end and thinking like, I really want to work on myself. I really want to be better than I was before. I think that’s exciting. I don’t think that’s scary. And just knowing that people around you are going through the same thing, and you’re going to get through it no matter what.