Monumental Journey

Students explore Washington in a Close Up adventure of the nation’s capital

Photo provided by KatyISD

Students Carley Demerse, Carolina Rojas and Abigail Bradbury explore the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial

What can be read in a history textbook is nowhere near as profound as climbing the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to stand on the exact podium that Martin Luther King Jr. had spoken at 58 and a half years ago.

Junior Sarah Prieur du Perray was one of 19 students who visited Washington this year on the school’s Close Up trip. Given the opportunity to experience history and government firsthand, she found exploring the American History Museum to be influential in developing her understanding of the nation’s background beyond the classroom.

“I love learning the stories of people, places and things,” Prieur du Perray said. “I got to see these things I never thought I’d get to see.”

History teachers Jessica Calvo and Jaime Wilson chaperone students each year, completing their twelfth successful trip on Jan. 16-21.

“It’s an awesome experience for students to get a ‘close up’ look at our nation’s government,” Calvo said. “Students get to learn more about both the liberal and conservative side of politics and become more involved by voicing and defending their own political beliefs to their peers.”

In addition to the program’s educational workshops, interactive programs and social activities, sites like the Washington Monument and war memorials are among the various attractions visited.

Of the students on the trip with Prieur du Perray, senior Colin Boyd was one who thoroughly enjoyed meeting with elected officials and staff members on Capitol Hill.

“Nothing in a classroom can give you an insight or can even come close to giving you the experience of what it’s like to actually interact with all these people,” Boyd said. “They give you experiences and insights that you just can’t match in a classroom with a textbook because they’re actually there, they’re actually working on [Capitol Hill] – it’s a first hand source.”

During the trip, Boyd described his experience to be surprising because he took away a lot more than expected.

“It was eye opening,” Boyd said. “I don’t see any other way I would have gotten firsthand knowledge of how the inner workings of the House and Senate work.”

Several district high schools met with Congressman Troy Nehls on the steps of the capitol on Jan. 19. He invited the group of more than 60 students into his office building where they met with staff members and explored committee rooms.

Photo provided by KatyISD
Sponsors Jessica Calvo and Jaime Wilson take a selfie with Congressman Troy Nehls and students

“This was a bright group of our nation’s future leaders,” Nehls said. “Speaking with them and hearing their perspectives gives me confidence that our country will be in good hands when it’s time to pass the baton from one generation to the next.”

While touring a committee room and learning about its purpose in Congress, Nehls spoke to the group about serving the nation.

“It is so important that students always try to put others before themselves,” he said. “Whether that be getting involved in your community, serving your country in the military, volunteering at local charities, or performing small acts of kindness, there is truly nothing more rewarding than service to others.”

“Students should learn that if you don’t like the way something is, you have the power to change it,” Nehls continued. “Politics is a great way to shape your community, be a voice for others, lead a cause and have a hand in creating something bigger than yourself.”

Rising juniors and seniors can participate in the trip next academic year if they register during the fall semester. Contact Jessica Calvo at [email protected] for more information, or visit the Close Up booth at the Spartan Spectacular in August.

“I can’t recommend this trip enough to upcoming juniors and seniors,” Calvo said. “I have yet to have a kid come back that says they did not have a good time!”