Leaving a Legacy of Love

Alexandra Tuberquia, Staff Writer

Getting involved and giving during the holiday season is very important as students reflect on what they are thankful for. There are many volunteer opportunities and people don’t have to go far. Giving can be much more rewarding than receiving. Even if there is no time to go out and physically get involved, making an impact can be just a few clicks away on a computer or cell phone.
Toys for Tots is an organization that collects toys during the holiday season for family’s children that cannot afford to get their children gifts. All people have to do to donate is visit their website. Volunteer Houston is an organization that provides a calendar with volunteer opportunities year round. Some of the opportunities this month include the SOAR Group Classes, The Jingle Bell Run, and December Respite. The Jingle Bell Run, held in downtown Houston, raises money for the Tellespen Family YMCA Campaign. This campaign is to ensure the strength of our community as a whole throughout reach programs. These other events include working with special needs kids, raising money for charities through a run and collecting donations for less fortunate families during this season of giving. Additional information about these fun activities can be found on ymca.org and voluenteerhouston.org. Students can also visit the Student Council’s S.O.S. hour’s website 2XVOL.com to find service opportunities close by and participate in them with friends.
Lastly, if students happen to be in town and want to volunteer on Christmas Eve, the Beacon, a homeless shelter in downtown Houston is in need of food prep volunteers for their annual Christmas Eve Dinner. To see the hours for service go to beaconhomeless.org. There are many easy options to get involved this season. Even if they’re short on cash or time, text a couple of friends and have them split the cost of a donation, or volunteer together. The impact and smile that a person can put on someone’s face is much more valuable than any gift a person can receive this season. People have to remember that life isn’t about material worth; what counts is who a person is on the inside. Leaving a legacy of love and kindness to humanity is what people will remember, rather than materialistic things.