The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Universities Are Changing the Game

SAT and ACT are the standardized tests required for most college admissions in the United States. They predict high school students’ academic achievements in college by examining their reading, writing and math skills. But recently, more than 850 universities announced that SAT and ACT scores are optional in students’ applications, causing many students to question the validity of standardized testing.

“I think [the policy] is bad because the SAT is used to compare all students nationally,” senior William Tia said.

However, other  students disagree with the recent adjustment. They believed the exam scores are among the most credible statistics in the application to evaluate.

“GPA isn’t as accurate as each school difficulty and skill level is different from other schools,” Tia said.

Beside its reliability, the scores could be a valuable measurement to predict students’ future achievements.

“Also, the SAT is meant to test prospectively. It measures how well students will do in college not how well they have done in the past, so colleges need both for consideration,” Tia said. 

Along with complaints, other students raised their concerns. They question how the standards for college application would change following the new policy.

“If we do get rid of the SAT all together, what will replace the SAT?” senior Madison Muldune said. “How will colleges determine which applicants will be accepted.”

The change makes some students more anxious when filling out their applications since they might be considered inferior to other applicants without  the test scores. Many advocated that before a new method is adopted, the exam scores should still be evaluated in college application process.

“With that said, I do not think that the SAT should be disregarded unless an accurate, efficient alternative takes its place,” Muldune said.