Does Class Size Matter ?

Brooke Sandoval

There is no doubt for Katy ISD’s outstanding credentials as a district overall. As of 2018, it is reported that Katy ISD is ranked number 148th out of 10,574 for best school districts in America and is the 14th best school district in Texas. Its exceptional rankings and prestigious reputation has attracted the exponential growth of students enrolling in the district; however, such a reputable status and a rapid increase of students may jeopardize learning experiences.

A federal data analysis revealed that an average class size is about 24 students in elementary schools and about 30 students in secondary schools. Research is further pursued to indicate a relationship between smaller classes in being more productive, beneficial, and appropriate in order to achieve the best and upmost prepared education for students. However as this data may be backed up, districts still struggle control the size of their classrooms. For instance Katy ISD publically states their mission as “provid[ing] unparalleled learning experiences designed to prepare and inspire each student to live an honorable, fulfilling life…to create the future” but neglects to share the growing sizes of their classrooms.

It is understandable for a district’s increased population in regards to its outstanding recognized performance, however, too much exposure leads to a unbeneficial growth for a student’s education. Test scores may be good due to the fact that students are able to cheat easier in a large classroom setting. A teacher, although they may try, cannot pay attention to every student in a room for an equal amount of time when a student to teacher ratio is thirty to one. A study in a Tennessee school district became the “most persuasive class-size research in the United States” and concluded that when students were moved into smaller classes, they outperform those in large classroom settings even with a teacher assisting the larger group. Students are able to behave and engage themselves more in a small group setting with less distractions surrounding them.

On the Katy ISD public page, the district believes that “ meaningful relationships are vital to learner success.” Relationships meant for students and teacher to flourish academically in a classroom. Those distinguished relationships are easier made in a reduced classroom. Nevertheless an argument for a large classroom remains intaked. A recognizable advantage for a large classroom is that with the absence of a teachers attention, a student is able to garner independence to work alone. Another advantage to a large class size is that it is in overall a cheaper solution to a districts funding necessities. Despite these supporting details towards the advantages of a large class size, in terms of a benefiting and equip education, it is undeniable that a small class size can easily achieve this ideal. It is reported that a smaller class size is more beneficial for the education of students.