Standardized Tests: Should We Take Them?

Gaby Salazar, Staff Writer

Standardized testing has been created to recognize the performances of individuals as well as comparing schools in their academic achievements. Ironically enough, since these tests have been made legal in all 50 states, scores have decreased in subjects such as reading and math. This contradicts the purpose of tests and has struck up the argument if they are beneficial to a young student’s education. Thus, standardized testing has diminished the true meaning of education and causes unnecessary amounts of stress to students, as well as teachers.   

Tests are essential to discover and assist those who are looking to pursue an advanced education with an abundance of AP tests. However, for majority of the student population, these tests have created a competitive environment that each new generation has adapted to. It has changed the dynamic of education, especially during high school, since the pressure of securing acceptable tests grades suddenly dictates the success of one’s future. Statistics show that after the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) passed in 2002, the US went from 18th to 31st place in the world in math on the PISA in the span of only two years. Proving that these standardized tests have become one of the major downfalls in American education and shouldn’t be held to the hierarchy that it’s constantly held as.  

Students and their hard work are not appreciated enough through these tests; certain inherited qualities and skills cannot be detected or shown through such exams. Some important qualities may include motivation, endurance, leadership, and much more. It also doesn’t acknowledge the amount of immense stress that goes into preparation for a test. According to education researcher Gregory J. Cizek, standardized testing produces severe anxiety, which can occur in any type of student, as well as making young children vomit and cry. Overall, these tests have struggled to have a firm impact towards its students and arises many intolerable emotions.  

On the other hand, others conclude that standardized testing is a necessity and distinguishes student achievement all around the nation. They believe that testing gives the opportunity for all students to learn basic skills and become used to the act of taking tests. Another valid statement would be the benefit of having multiple choice tests so teachers aren’t biased while they are grading. Although standardized testing helps students in the aspect of advancing their accomplishments in education, it can also be a negative connotation of their hard work not getting the recognition it deserves.

In conclusion, the American education has been duly affected by the immense mandatory standardized testing that has become a nationwide, stressful competition.