Las Posadas

Las+Posadas

Cathleen Zhang, Staff Writer

For many, the winter season is about holidays, Santa, and family. But, all over the world, many different types of traditions that date back hundreds of years ago are celebrated.

“[My family does] Las Posadas which is a Mexican tradition,” sophomore Fernanda Calderon said. “It’s kind of represented of the Mary and Joseph when they went around all the houses asking [for] somewhere to stay because Mary was about to give birth. We recreate that.”

In the 1500’s, Catholic Missionaries brought the tradition of Las Posadas to Mexico from Spain. Today, Las Posadas are held in neighborhoods across Mexico and are also becoming popular in the United States.

“Every night starting from December 16th up to the 24th, which is at night when Jesus was born. You go around to houses and ask if you can stay there but of course they say no like they did in the bible,” Calderon said. “Until the 24th where you all unite and they open the door and you can stay there.”

There are two parts to the traditional posada song. Those outside the house sing the part of Joseph asking for shelter and the family inside responds singing the part of the innkeeper saying that there is no room.

“We go to Mexico in Christmas and get together [with] a bunch of people, like neighbors and friends,” Calderon said.

After all the houses are visited each night, the “weary travelers” finally reach their destination which is a designated  site for the party where there is food and pinatas.

“You hit the pinata. They don’t put candy in it, they usually put fruit and bricks,” Calderon said. “This one time, I had just finished hitting the pinata and it opened a little. Then the guy after me he hit it and the brick hit him straight on in the head. Other times, the food, like the tomato, just *splat* right on their head. But never on me.”

Overall, Las Posadas is a time for different families to get together to celebrate.

“The whole [part of] everyone get[ting] together and everyone’s carrying candles, that’s memorable.”