The Re-Branding of School History

The Re-Branding of School History

Trey Vondenstein, Sports Editor

Due to many recent issues with copyrighted material in the logo, the decision of coming up with a new one has been put into full effect. Although it is unclear of what the committee will come up with, the power of determining the design that will be around campus, on the jerseys, the school shirts, and the basketball courts is a huge responsibility. After getting into legal issues with universities such as Syracuse and San Jose State, the only viable option was to redesign the logo.

The school has had these logos ever since it first opened in 2005, and the re-creation of it will be a daunting task, but will be much appreciated in the long run.

“I like [the logo], I do think that it’s kind of plain though,” junior Cassie Hernandez said. “It just isn’t original. I think we should keep the Spartan head, but make it our own.”

Once the logo changes, there’s going to be a process to where students will slowly stop seeing the original S around campus. However, as the logo begins to disappear, the attitudes of the students around the school may change to benefit the community.

“If the logo is our own, and people like it, then they will be more prideful towards the school” Hernandez said.

However, if they do decide to completely get rid of the S and switch up the Spartan Helmet, they may be able to avoid all of the lawsuits, while keeping the same feeling of originality to the design. It is vital that the new logo represents who the students are as a whole, and pleases the students who go here.

“I like the Spartan head logo,” junior Mac Stinson said. “It’s a good thing to have for sports because it’s very fearsome.”

A lot of suggestions are flying around the school in order to help the decision makers come up with the revisions of the logo. The more feedback that they have, the better understanding of the students they get, consequently leading to the creation of a logo that everyone will be pleased with.

“They should definitely think of something more cool,” Stinson said. “Something that is more intimidating to other schools.”

A huge contributor to the final decision of what the new logo may be is the members of the community. The school gets an amazing amount of support by the areas surrounding the school, therefore, their opinion weighs heavily on what revisions will be made.

“We sent a survey to the community and had over 1600 responses,” principal Theodore Vierling said. “Our community really likes what we have now, so we are trying to have continuity between the new and old logos.”

It is also vital that the whole committee can agree upon the same logo. A split decision won’t help the cause, as a school logo should represent unity and perseverance.

“I don’t want a cartoon that looks like the Martian from Bugs Bunny,” Vierling said. “I want something tough, but not scary. However, we want to get this right, so we will not be rushing any any ideas forward unless we are happy with the final product.”

The new logo is expected to be finalized in March, but regardless of when it is released, the school will need support from everyone no matter what design the committee decides on, and the transition of logos is something that the whole community will have to show their appreciation for. No matter if the new logo is better in popular opinion, or uglier, support and affection towards the school is crucial in the further progression of the incredible educational facility.