Advanced Pressure

AP Classes May Not be the Best Option

Advanced+Pressure

Ashleigh Hickman, Copy Editor

Advanced placement classes are recommended to students who want to have a better understanding of college-level courses and their requirements. Many students are compelled to take AP classes in order to raise their grade point average, but sometimes, that is difficult to do. AP classes often take time out of students’ extracurricular activities, daily routine, and sleep schedule. AP classes are not beneficial for the student if they are not performing well in them.

It is often difficult to maintain a good grade in AP classes because of their difficulty, and many students end up with a grade they aren’t happy with. In this situation, taking the AP class is ineffective toward raising the students’ GPAs and produced the opposite of the desired effect: a lowered GPA.

“A very low grade on your transcript from an AP course may hurt you more in the long run than not taking an AP in that subject at all,” senior lecturer at Stanford Graduate School of Education Denise Pope said.*

While AP classes can be worthwhile by giving the student a challenging academic experience that prepares them for college, if a low score is accumulated by the end of the year, the class wasn’t worth it. Colleges don’t just look at the fact that the student took four AP classes, they look at the grades they made in them. There is no participation ribbon for taking AP classes; if the student doesn’t do well, it will reflect in their overall grades. Making C’s in every advanced class taken will not benefit the student in any way, especially if the student does not get anything out of the class such as increased knowledge or interest in the subject.

AP classes are designed to be more difficult courses in order to challenge students and give them an idea of what college is going to be like. Additionally, the extra grade point AP classes provide is devised to boost students’ GPAs, but many times these classes bring GPAs down because of the amount of effort they require.

Before taking an AP class the student should consider the workload of the course and their dedication to the class in general. If the student feels that they won’t want to stay up all night to study, they should contemplate not taking the advanced class. AP classes are designed to help students develop study skills and advanced knowledge, not to become a dreadful time-consuming experience. If students begin to feel like AP classes are taking too much time out of their normal schedule, they should consider either dropping one of their advanced classes in order to regain control or schedule certain times when they will fully commit to studying those subjects.

Furthermore, taking multiple advanced classes can be detrimental to students who commit too much time to them. Students who study for five or more hours at night lack the necessary hours of sleep that helps the body and brain regenerate and grow. The average teenager needs at least eight hours of sleep every night in order to maintain a regular sleep schedule. However, many students get anywhere between 3 to 7 hours of sleep because they’re doing homework for every AP course they’re taking until late at night.

Advanced Placement classes cause students to lose sleep and time for other activities. In theory, there is enough time for students to go to school, do homework, go to work or extracurriculars, and get a normal amount of sleep. Unfortunately, this busy schedule students often possess makes it difficult to spend time with friends or family without the stress of doing homework or studying. This situation can generate an overall negative outlook of school and advanced classes that affects students’ motivation to study and do homework.

If students are struggling with maintaining a normal, balanced schedule as well as making the grades they want to make, they should consider taking less AP classes or schedule their day so they know when they have free time.

AP classes are beneficial to students in many ways such as giving students the opportunity for a higher grade point average and helping them understand the higher-level way of thinking and learning that will be expected in college. However, students’ sleep, sanity, and friendships should not be sacrificed in order to get higher grades. High school should be a fun, exciting teenage experience for students, and they shouldn’t spend their youth on rigorous courses and endless homework if they aren’t motivated to do so.

*Quote pulled from “Are AP courses worth the effort? An interview with Stanford education expert Denise Pope” http://news.stanford.edu/2013/04/22/advanced-placement-courses-032213/