A Splash of Summer

Ashleigh Hickman, Staff Writer

It’s the moment everyone has been waiting for since they walked through the school doors on day 1: the moment it ends. Every student yearns for the bright, sunny days where they can relax as if they have nothing to worry about. Many students acquire an extremely busy schedule when they don’t have school to worry about.

One of the first things people think of when they think of summer is camp. Getting the opportunity to spend time with friends without the feeling of claustrophobia from parents is as intriguing as it sounds.

“I went to church camp with my friends over the summer. I couldn’t ask for a better experience; I loved growing closer to God and my friends. It was a special experience that I will never forget,” Ashton Cheatham, sophomore, said.

Going to camp isn’t the only thing that strengthens bonds between friends. Sometimes, waking up before the sun rises with people leads to better relationships. Volleyball tryouts were on Aug. 4, and since the rosters were announced, the players have been practicing and playing non-stop.

“It was definitely hard in the beginning to wake up at six o’clock every morning, but I got used to it,” Cora McCanlies, sophomore, said, “It helped me get my sleeping schedule back on track, and I love playing volleyball and making new friends, so it wasn’t too bad.”

Summer is always the perfect time to go on vacation with family. While some were soaking up the sun of Katy by the pool, others were vacationing to exotic places and traveling around the world.

“I went to Colombia over the summer,” Howard Alvarado, sophomore, said, “I didn’t realize how beautiful the country was until I actually went. They had amazing food.”

There is nothing better than the beautiful weather and not having homework to worry about; between staying at home and doing nothing and travelling the world, summer is the best time to bond with friends and relax.