Overcoming Adversity

Overcoming+Adversity

Trey Vondenstein, Sports Editor

For many people, sports are a fun pastime that are played in a casual, nonchalant fashion. However, for others, they are a gateway to express one’s inner passion and devotion to a loyal program. Dallas Blunt, a football player on the JV football team, has a very unique trait that sets him apart from the other players. After being diagnosed with Linear Scleroderma at a very young age, the doctors and Blunt’s parents decided that an amputation of his leg was the best course of action to ensure a better quality of life.
After playing football for years, Blunt adopted a passion and love for playing the game, despite the obvious circumstances. Although he may seem different, his passion for the game grew from a young age.
“I first started to play football at the age of 6,” junior Dallas Blunt said. “I didn’t do any athletics before that, [but] I wanted to join football because I really liked it as kid.”
When he first joined football, there was a period full of trial and error. Being just recently thrown into the sport, confusion and unsynchronization was inevitable.
“My first year, I played safety,” Blunt said. “My coaches put me there, but I’ve played many different positions since then, like offensive line, defensive line, and linebacker.”
Although now he has been playing for nearly ten years, there have been bumps in the road along the way. Every great story has an obstacle that has to be overcome, and Blunt’s is no exception.
“My parents rejected [the decision] when I first started playing,” Blunt said. “I kept on pursuing it and they gave in and allowed me to play. The biggest obstacle has probably been other people doubting me, [even though] no one has ever harassed me about it.”

Being in football with one leg is an accomplishment itself, but with football comes injuries. No matter how it occurs, it’s another thing that football players must adhere to in order to be successful.
“I’ve broken my [prosthetic] knee running sprints at practice,” Blunt said. “When I was seven, I would run and slide as if I were playing baseball. I slid in an awkward position, and broke my hip, and I’ve had two screws in my hip since.”
After playing three years of high school football, and it is coming to an abrupt end next season, Blunt knows that he is creating memories that will last a lifetime. Blunt’s football experience will stick with him forever, and it will be something that he will never forget any time soon.
“Football has showed me that life is full of obstacles that can be overcome through hard work and perseverance,” Blunt says.
A true inspiration, others can view Blunt’s story as a true drive to accomplish desired goals despite certain obstacles. Courage, bravery, and pride are all characteristics displayed by Blunt’s situation, and much positivity and encouragement can be taken out of his case to strive on no matter what life decides to throw his way.