A Rockin’ Influence

How music affects students’ everyday lives

Ashleigh Hickman, Copy Editor

In the hallway, students often rave about the latest concert and excitedly discuss the new artists they’ve discovered. Many roam the halls with both earbuds in, blasting their favorite songs while the top hits are streaming from teachers’ classrooms. Music is a vital factor in many people’s lives, however its importance tends to be overlooked and not often talked about.

For some students, listening to music helps ease tension and relieve stress caused by the rigorous courses they take. With a strict course load, it can be difficult to relax; however, listening to music can make life feel less demanding during times of stress.

“Having such a busy schedule always brings stress and anxiety, and music helps calm my mind when I feel overwhelmed,” senior Sanya Khaja said.

Athletes struggle to balance schoolwork and the time consuming physical activities their sports demand. Music can serve as an escape from the mental strain of nerves and distractions during games and practices.

“I listen to music, because it calms my nerves and helps me focus on something other than my thoughts,” varsity basketball player, junior Jackson McClurg said.

Relatable lyrics help students feel a sense of belonging with something bigger than themselves. Students tend to feel isolated when going through everyday struggles, and music brings others together and helps them connect over a common identity.

“The idea that someone has experienced similar issues to those I have experienced in my own life gives me hope that things will work out,” junior Emily Edgmon said.

Music impacts lives in ways some don’t notice. The simplest song can inspire adolescents to become better students and motivate them to achieve their goals for the future.

“The right song can really make a difference with my level of performance,” Khaja said.

The effects of music are immense despite music being a common staple in students’ lives and many feel that music changes their perspective and outlook on school. Listening to certain types of music shapes personalities and beliefs and alters lives, often for the better.

“If I didn’t listen to music my life would be incredibly different. Music is such a big part of my life, it’s hard to even comprehend a life without it,” Edgmon said.

Music is an essential part of the human psyche, and some students become dependent on it without realizing it. It greatly impacts the way students communicate with each other and creates an environment of similar interest. Students often struggle to become motivated for school, so the use of music as inspiration can be essential to an inspired environment.