The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Class Ranks Don’t Define Your Worth, Mrs. Gaden Does

Maya Vishwanath

At a school known for its academic rigor, class ranks are a central topic of discussion among juniors and seniors. Particularly in AP classes, where competition is high, class ranks being published intensify tensions among students and raises their anxiety levels. 

“Class ranks are all anyone can talk about in my AP classes,” Sophie Simoens, a junior in AP English Language and Composition said.

Amidst this atmosphere of heightened competition and stress, one teacher has found a way to ease the pressure and foster a more positive classroom environment. Mrs. Gaden, one of the two AP Lang teachers, has implemented a lighthearted version of the class rankings to divert her students’ focus from class rankings.

“Class rankings did come out recently, and I wasn’t really happy with my ranking, but Mrs. Gaden’s ranks gave me a little distraction and I was able to think about other things and not about that,” junior Melody Chen said. 

Since the start of her ranking system, Mrs. Gaden’s class has become a sanctuary for stressed students. Reflecting on her motivation behind this approach, Mrs. Gaden expressed concern about the palpable stress levels among her students.

“I just felt like students were super stressed when they were talking about it, some people are excited and some people feel bad,” Mrs. Gaden said.

Mrs. Gaden has devised a system of ranking her students through whimsical and arbitrary categories, aimed at including humor into the discussion of class ranks. These categories include factors such as athletic ability, with a twist—where greater athletic prowess actually lowers one’s ranking. Additionally, Mrs. Gaden has introduced criteria such as personality and height correlation, as well as an imaginary  factor she calls “sparkle.”

By introducing the ranking system, Mrs. Gaden has succeeded in creating a more relaxed and inclusive classroom atmosphere. Students are no longer solely fixated on their numerical class rankings but instead find amusement and camaraderie in Mrs. Gaden’s humorous approach.

As students  of Seven Lakes High School, Mrs. Gaden’s initiative serves as a reminder of the importance of fostering resilience, creativity, and a sense of community in the face of academic pressure. Her innovative approach not only provides a temporary relief from the stress of class rankings but also encourages students to embrace humor and perspective in their academic journey.

About the Contributor
Maya Vishwanath
Maya Vishwanath, Staff Writer
Maya Vishwanath is a sophomore in her first year being The Torch staff. She is passionate about journalism and excited to write Spartan news. In her spare time, she loves to sew, repurpose clothes, cook, read, and swim.