The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Back to Basketball

Photo from MaxPreps.com
Photo from MaxPreps.com

You might not expect much going to a high school basketball game, but at Seven lakes, you’ll see sophomore Nasir Price dunking one minute, freshman Isaiah Santos alley-ooping the next, and senior A.J. Bates having a different finish on each layup, all while making it look effortless. 

Last year, the boys were state runner-ups and this season they’re even more confident they’ll be adding a state championship title to their list of achievements. They’ve already started out strong hitting the triple digits in scoring–not once, but twice–all thanks to every player’s notable efforts. 

“Our attitude is a lot better; we played a lot more mature this year, the team chemistry definitely seems a lot better this year,” sophomore Ezekiell McMullen said. “We’re much more together as a team.”

Even a bystander with no knowledge of basketball would be able to recognize the great team chemistry on court, from behind-the-back passes on fast breaks to beautiful ball movement leading to a wide-open three-pointer. Looking on from a defensive standpoint, the chemistry leads to great steals–and even better blocks. Anyone can tell the players feel comfortable on court, playing most games with at least a 10-point lead.  

“Here it is more free, and you can shoot different kinds of shots and make different kinds of plays,” Santos said.

It’s no small feat to make a varsity team, but to make it as a freshman and be a starter speaks to a great skill set with a high basketball intelligence. From an outsider’s point of view, one could barely tell that it’s Santos’ first year on the team: he easily fits into the group, making smart plays and hustling for rebound after rebound on court. It’s hard to rise to the level set by returning players like Tillman Jaramillo and Hagen Knight, who can shoot the lights from basically anywhere on the three point line; not to mention, tricky players like Brett Norton and Price can make crisp three-pointers or get to the basket for an easy layup. With a roster as strong as this and a great start to the season, there’s nothing really that can slow them down.

“Overall, [with the] maturity we have and skill level we still maintain, I don’t think there’s a team, when we’re just focused and together, that can really beat us,” McMullen said

About the Contributor
Rhea Kuriakose
Rhea Kuriakose, Staff Writer
Rhea is a junior in her 2nd year of being on the newspaper staff. She is an energetic and unique member of the newspaper staff. She is highly motivated by food and friendship. Her interests are reading, Girl Scouts and Basketball. Rhea has been on staff for two years and is excited to bring a new element to our website in the form of Book Reviews.