The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

Track Sensation and Future Olympic Athlete: Ezechiel Bowe

Photo provided by Ezekiel Bowe (Bottom right)

At Seven Lakes High School, sophomore track sensation Ezechiel Bowe prepares to take the world of junior Olympic athletics by storm. With a passion for the sport that burns as brightly as ever, Bowe is setting his sights on future Olympic glory, and he’s got the determination and talent to make it happen.

“I credit my personal coach, his name is Corney Hawkins,” Bowe said. Hawkins, an indoor hurdles champion, took Bowe under his wing when he started 8th grade. Since then, he has helped the young athlete overcome barriers and reach new heights in the world of track and field.

Bowe’s journey has been marked by challenges, and one of the most formidable ones was breaking the elusive sub-60-second barrier in the 800 meters. “It’s more mental than people ever think,” Bowe reveals. The psychological battle of maintaining a 60-second lap and summoning the energy for a final kick proved to be his biggest mental hurdle. But with Hawkins’ guidance, he conquered it, setting a personal record of 1:50.07 in the process.

Looking ahead, Bowe has his sights set on a future that includes college track and a spot at the Olympics. “I wanna go Division I for sure,” Bowe said. His ultimate goal is clear – to represent his country on the grandest stage of all.

As for college offers, Bowe will have to wait until next year to officially field them, but with his impressive track record, it’s only a matter of time before the offers start pouring in.

Bowe’s journey in track and field began in seventh grade, and it wasn’t long before he found his stride. Joining a club in eighth grade paved the way for bigger opportunities. Competing in various meets with the club allowed him to showcase his talent and eventually led to a spot in the Junior Olympics.

Preparing for competition is a meticulous process for Bowe. He adheres to a strict regimen, ensuring he gets eight hours of sleep for two consecutive nights leading up to a race. His pre-race meal consists of pasta and liquid IV. Hydration is key, with two gallons of water consumed two days before the race. Packing his bag with essentials like multiple pairs of socks, different spikes, uniforms, and shirts is all part of the routine. And, of course, hydration is maintained up until race day.

Bowe’s journey has been marked by remarkable improvement. He vividly recalls running a 2:20 in the 800 meters in eighth grade. Yet, through relentless training, often amounting to four hours a day, six days a week, he managed to slash an astonishing 10 seconds off his time in just six months. That kind of progress is a testament to his work ethic and the guidance of Coach Hawkins.

Reflecting on his journey, Bowe imparts a valuable piece of advice: “Resilience is just all about resilience.” He emphasizes that track and field are more mental than meets the eye, and the ability to bounce back from setbacks is crucial. He also stresses the solitary nature of the sport, where individual success takes center stage.

Ezechiel Bowe’s path to becoming a junior Olympic athlete has been marked by unwavering commitment, unyielding perseverance, and a burning desire for greatness. As he continues to break barriers and set records, his future in the world of track and field looks incredibly bright. Watch out for this rising star from Seven Lakes High School, as he paves his way towards the Olympic dreams that drive him forward.

About the Contributor
Maya Vishwanath
Maya Vishwanath, Staff Writer
Maya Vishwanath is a sophomore in her first year being The Torch staff. She is passionate about journalism and excited to write Spartan news. In her spare time, she loves to sew, repurpose clothes, cook, read, and swim.