The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

www.slhspress.com

Student news website
of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Torch

‘Tis the Season for the Holiday Blues

Lola Afolabi

‘Tis the season for joy, laughter, family, and  cordiality. ‘Tis the season to receive and give gifts, to cuddle up with loved ones with a warm cup of hot cocoa, to play outside in the snow( if you don’t live in Texas). ‘Tis the season to enjoy the company of friends and family. ‘Tis the season to enjoy good warm hearty home cooked food and spend the rest of the day on a couch that feels like a cloud fighting off the hypnotic food coma, while binging movie after movie.

These may make winter seem like the best time of the year. However,when the temperature drops and  the days become shorter, people begin to feel more lonely-which in other words is seasonal depression.

It may seem like a superstition that winter makes people feel sad; however, past and present research has proven that it’s ever true. And, it’s not only because of the weather changes and the much darker days. Winter holidays are communal ones- thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, valentines- they are holidays meant to be enjoyed with loved ones. But, for some people this isn’t a reality, as they don’t have people to celebrate with.

Still, no matter the case of the winter blues, it is important to know how to take care of yourself and your mental health when the darkness sets in. It happens to everybody, the fatigue, the hopelessness, the unassuming melancholy. It’s all a matter of how you deal with it. 

First of all, Get outside. Get as much natural light as you can. Take a long walk, Enjoy nature. As cliche as this sounds, light therapy really does help aid the brain chemistry that improves mood. Spend 30 minutes to an hour outside and it will help your mental state. 

Secondly, Prioritize self care. Listen. Know when you need to be outside and when you need to be inside. In the midst of the loud and joyful noise of family gatherings, no matter how nice it feels, remember it is okay, it is alright to want some alone time for a while. 

It’s important to know that your mental health is important and it’s okay to reach out to someone. Talking to someone might seem like too much, but it may be the thing you just need . Plus, remember just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean your heart has to be.

About the Contributor
Lola Afolabi
Lola Afolabi, Editor in Chief
Lola is a senior in her 2nd year on the Newspaper Staff. Although this is her first year of being an editor, she is excited to embrace the responsibilities that come with the new role. Outside of the newspaper, Lola enjoys reading, watching movies, listening to music,and casually learning new languages. Due to her ever-competing love for journalism and science, She hopes to pursue Engineering or Journalism.