Coaching on the Court

Through the eyes of a spectator, the sport of tennis looks quite effortless as opponents gracefully volley a small rubber ball back and forth, hardly missing a beat. However, it can be easy to overlook the sheer amount of training and discipline that it takes for the athletes to prepare for these tedious matches. That’s where the role of an experienced coach comes into play.

Tennis coach and Algebra 2 teacher, Karl Burford, knows all the insides and outs of tennis and uses that knowledge to help train his athletes to be the best that they can be.

“I started playing tennis when I was eight years old,” Coach Burford said. “So I have been passionate about the sport for many, many years. And it’s the sport that I would have to say [I have] the most knowledge in. Well knowledge, and out of other sports it’s the one I feel most confident in.”

Coach Burford has been coaching tennis for a grand total of 22 years, spending 10 of those at Seven Lakes. And although coaching tennis does take up a fair portion of Coach Burford’s time – with afternoon practices and all day matches – he enjoys using his passion for tennis as a means to train the next generation of tennis players.

“The biggest thing about coaching tennis, in general, is always seeing the tennis players improve,” Coach Burford said. “Also [it is rewarding] when they see the joy of the sport, regardless of the level they’re at, because we obviously have very different levels.”

Being a coach of any sport not only requires immense knowledge of the inner workings of the game, but also confidence and faith in their athletes, supporting them in every match.

“I think Coach Burford is really dedicated,” senior tennis player Tyler Zou said. “Especially during matches where people get down in a hole, he’s always there to encourage you and help you try to come back in the match.”

Being a tennis coach at the high school level also requires planning out all the practices, drills, and making sure that all students are more than prepared for the next match.

“[The coaching of the team] is pretty good,” freshman tennis player Kingsley Brown said. “Every single day of practice is pretty structured and organized.”

However, despite how it may seem, coaching tennis is not all about drawing up plays and overseeing an endless amount of practice. It’s also about creating a relationship with one’s athletes and facilitating an environment of friendship and encouragement.

“I think one of my favorite things [about the team] is the close relationships we have with each other,” Zou said. “Most other teams – top level teams in the district and even the region – [don’t have] a team dynamic as good as ours. They’re not really close with each other. But at Seven Lakes, we’re all friends and we always encourage each other during matches and practices. I feel like that really helps us stand out from the rest of the tennis programs in Texas.”

Like all other sports, there is a great rivalry brewing between many of the top tennis teams in the state, Seven Lakes included. Despite the harsh competition, Coach Burford and his colleagues continue to push the team creating not only superb athletes, but also kind people.

“I still remember when I got interviewed by Mr. Vierling, the principal in 2012 or 2013,” Coach Burford said. “[I remember] saying my goal coming here from Katy High School was to beat Memorial High School in a team tennis match. Unfortunately, that still has not come to pass. No one’s beat them in this region since 2008. Craziness, I know.”