The Biggest Challenge in High School

All seniors are thinking about reaching the end of the tunnel, but there are still challenges blocking the exit. Seniors are in their fourth quarter of high school and desperately want to be done with their stress. They’ve been slacking off in some of their classes and stressing with less hours of sleep due to lots of homework, college apps, and school activities. The last year of high school may be fast for some but for others it is their breaking point.

These issues the seniors have is known as senioritis. This mental disease has spread like a plague around the school and will not stop because the influence of this generation has made us make careless decisions that could cost the rest of our lives. Senioritis is no joke; most seniors could make the worst decision right now and cost themselves from not graduating high school. 

“The most annoying thing during senior year so far is just going to school right now,” senior Max Boisvert said. “I just kind of zone out throughout some of my classes.”

Back in 2019, when the class of ‘23 had just started high school, they did not expect much. Most either had an easy freshman year, but they never understood why the seniors walked around the hallways so sleep deprived. Now they are seniors and understand their past experience of seeing the seniors wanting to get their last year over with.

“I remember wondering why all the seniors walked around like zombies in the halls,” Boisvert said. “Now being a senior I completely understand why they did it because I do that now.”

“The thing that’s annoyed me most this year would have to be slow walkers in the hallway,” senior Nina Amico said. “Underclassmen who do the opposite of what you tell them, even if it’s good advice, always try to spite you.”

Most seniors are not done with school just yet after high school and have to endure applying for many colleges. With the use of Apply Texas, Common App, and School Links, the seniors have been able to submit their applications and keep up with their submissions. That is half the reason why seniors have had a hard start to the school year but have come around it very easily.

“College apps are the main focus for me at the moment,” Boisvert said. “I’m really focused on my essay and trying to make it as perfect as I can.”

“College apps are overwhelming if you think about everything you have to do for each college,” Amico said. “If you break it down and complete little by little, it’s not so bad.”

Homework this semester has also not been so bad, as seniors have learned to get adjusted and finish work on time for the past four years. 

“Homework this senior year has been generally easy,” Boisvert said. “However it has come to the point where it can sometimes be annoying to do.”

“I rarely have homework and if I do, it’s usually not much and I can finish it within an hour,” Amico said. 

Senior year usually rolls around fast for everyone, and if every student in the past has gotten through it, then so can the class of ‘23. Here at Seven Lakes, students are meant to overcome any challenge that gets in their way, and if they dedicate themselves to accomplishing their goals, then they will spread that message for the future of the school.