PE For All

Run day. Those two single words summon up a boatload of memories, some triumphant and some downright tragic. But whether students liked it or not, run day was just another part of the junior high PE curriculum. Now in high school, students have the freedom to choose whatever they want to do for their PE credit: volleyball, track, tennis… the options are virtually endless! But unbeknownst to many, one of the choices, found under boys and girls PE, gives students the opportunity to work with the special needs students and help them achieve their PE goals. 

For sophomores Maria Cedeno and Amira Albar, being in the collaborative PE class has given them the opportunity to make lasting connections with the special needs students as well as get some physical activity in.

“I chose to be in this PE class after my counselor explained what the class is,” Cedeno said. “I [first] heard of this class from my older sister who graduated a few years back.” 

While the terms ‘hero’ and ‘sidekick’ are typically used to describe the actors in superhero movies, they are also used in this PE class; the heroes being the special needs students and the sidekicks being the other students in the class. Usually there are about three sidekicks assigned to one hero, and the sidekick’s job is to guide their hero through the activities and make sure that they have fun.

“I really like seeing the heroes happy when they play games,” Albar said. “They get excited really easily, and once they’re into a game, it’s really fun to watch them.”

PE coach Katie Spencer also enjoys watching the heroes reach their goals and is extremely active in organizing the lesson plans that let the heroes let loose and have fun. 

“I believe that every student here – and any student – needs a colorful, fun, active, enthusiastic environment for physical education,” Spencer said. “I like the modifications that we get to make. I think it allows our sidekicks to brainstorm, be creative, and to give really an awesome experience to our heroes who are in our special ed department.”

Like the typical PE class, collaborative PE also follows a schedule, probably one very similar to that of the other PE classes that are offered. Of course, it’s doubtful that the other PE classes get to indulge in the fun of dance day Fridays.

“Normally we have a yoga day, a fitness workout day, some games, and [then] Friday is always a dance day.” Albar said. “Before we do the activity we walk for five minutes and stretch, then we do the activity.”

Throughout the first and second semesters, the sidekicks have gotten the opportunity to watch their hero grow in their PE skills. There have been ups and downs, but in the end, the sidekicks are all very proud of the progress that their heroes have made.

“The best memory would have to be when we were playing a tag game and my hero started sprinting for the first time (he usually jogs).” Cendeno said. “We were all so proud of him and he got so happy that he won the game.”