Passing Time During Passing Periods

The hallways at Seven Lakes are one of the most interesting parts of the school. Personalities are all on display, and students are everywhere. Among the surge of people,  you’re bound to see everyone doing their own thing. 

The two most common ways students spend their time between classes are catching up with friends and preparing or focusing for their next class. Sophomore Anderson Guest has his own routine when it comes to hallways.

“Most of the time I am thinking about my next class- thinking about anything we are doing in class on that day,” Guest said “I try to get into the right mindset so I’m prepared and ready.” 

Guest speaks for many kids who are only looking ahead at the next class, not allowing any distractions to stop them from getting ready for that period. A habit for preparation is extremely beneficial for every student in school for obvious reasons. Studies show that students who prepare for classes and tests experience more happiness and less anxiety. 

Sophomore Matteus Araujo decides to spend his six minutes with friends instead. 

“I need a break right after my class, so talking with my friends allows me to escape for just a couple minutes,” Araujo said “Sometimes we talk about the next class so we can prepare each other for our next class, but most of the time I’ll be with my friends just talking and having a good time.”  

Being around friends can be one of the best sources of happiness for people because friends allow  one to have a sense of belonging- usually by sharing common interests.This common bond makes it easy to talk and get a much needed escape for students. 

Sophomore Peter Bramlett has tried both of the previous ways of using time in the hallway, and he has a mixed opinion. 

“I think there is a happy medium between the two,” Bramlett said. “I think some days you need to study or prepare for the next class, so you can do great in school. But on the other hand, some days you just need to relax, chill with your friends and take a break from everything around you. If there’s too much stress in your life, it can only hurt you in the long run.” 

Bramlett is not wrong when it comes to not allowing stress to creep into your life. The Student Life In America survey reports that over 50% of students feel stressed or anxious when it comes to school. 

It is very important to balance school work as well as time with friends, and the trick is to make sure that you don’t allow one to take over the other. Once you allow one to become more prominent in your life, then issues might arise. When this balance is off, it can lead to unwanted side effects, such as anxiety and stress. The most important thing to remember is to find what works for you.