What is Beta Club?

On Jan. 21, the National Beta Club attended the Texas Senior Beta convention in Grapevine.

National Beta Club is an honor society and the largest independent, educational youth organization in America. Their purpose is to promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, leadership, and service among high school students. National Beta Club also presents an opportunity to win awards for different events,  earn scholarships, and do community based work.

The Seven Lakes Beta chapter was originally established in the 2019-2020 school year. They first attended the convention in 2020, but due to COVID-19, the 2021 convention was held virtually. The 2022 convention was successfully held in person after two years of disruption. The club sponsor is Ms. Snyder, and she has been the sponsor since the club’s beginning in 2019. In Beta club, members get a chance to compete in a state and national circuit, in a vast array of events including academics, speech, arts as well as many more. Senior Beta has two different event divisions: division I for freshmen and sophomores and division II for juniors and seniors.  Seven Lakes competed at the Texas Senior Beta convention, which is the Texas chapter of the national division. Texas Senior Beta also has a variety of leadership opportunities for contestants such as president, vice president and secretary.

The co-president of the Beta club, Siddhi Bavare, actually ran for vice president to serve Beta in the 2022-2023 year.

“This election gives me a chance to lead, and change the perspective of the club, and be able to give it a global perspective,” Bavare said.  

At the state convention, each candidate and students from their school prepare a one minute skit. Seven Lakes Beta members performed the skit to advertise Bavare’s campaign.  The skit is a way for candidates to spread their campaigns and show what they are advocating to contestants from all around the state. 

“I noticed a lack of mental health resources, and really wanted to advocate for that as it affects all of us,” Bavare said. 

She wanted to make a change to Beta no other candidate has yet mentioned.  The campaign theme was centered around Spotify, and her skit included multiple songs, dancers and sign holders. All candidates also gave a persuasive speech to a live audience. 

Unfortunately, Bavare didn’t win, but she was still very grateful to have an opportunity to run for the Beta election. 

“National Beta Club is a great opportunity to make new friends, compete in events you like and be able to go on a fun trip,” Bavare said, “If you are interested in the club they will be opening registration again in August.”

SLHS left the convention with multiple students placing for nationals, which will happen in the summer.