Mon. May 25th, 2020

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF SEVEN LAKES HIGH SCHOOL

Why You Shouldn’t Give Up On Your Dreams

Do you still remember the dreams you had growing up? Maybe you wanted to become a firefighter, a ballerina, or a chef. But as students enter high school, they are placed under heavy amounts of stress, which causes them to stop chasing their dreams. With the ever increasing schoolwork, peer pressure, and parental expectations, many students lose their motivation to strive for their original dreams. However, it is important to never forget your goals in life and to work hard to achieve them.

Don’t be afraid of failure.

Writer for “Lifehack” Amanda DeWitt explains that many people fear the idea of failure and lose their will to continue chasing their dreams. When students experience failure, they may feel disappointed, angry, frustrated, and sad, which can cause them to not actively focus on their work. According to “Psychology Today,” the fear of failure is actually the fear of shame. When placed within a stressful situation with a high chance of failure, many people opt to not engage in the activity, an action that costs them many opportunities. However, students should not face failure with fear; they must learn to embrace and overcome it by trying different ways to accomplish something if it goes wrong the first time. Students should treat each mistake as a lesson for the future and work to resolve the problem. If students can learn from their failures, they will be able to do better the next time around.

Have a positive outlook on life.

According to psychologist Ben Dean, usually people with high self-esteems are able to face difficult tasks and persist rather than people with low self-esteems. If the student believes that they will succeed in the future, then they are less likely to quit and more likely to work hard to achieve their dreams. High schoolers easily fall into the never-ending loop of schoolwork, tests, volunteering, and preparing for college. Many students have trouble facing the bright side of life, especially while the amount of stress and pressure piled on top of them to do well in school. But it is important to take time off of studying sometimes and relax. Taking time to relax helps clear the student’s mind of the day’s work and allows them time to think of things other than getting good grades or applying for colleges. Students will be more positive and cooperative; they will be more likely to continue pursuing their dreams.

Although school can be tough and stressful at times, it is important to never forget your dreams. Working towards a dream gives you motivation to continue working hard and diligently. As American journalist Christopher Morley says, “Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting.”